The project itself took about 60 seconds to create and upload. Perks include:
- issue tracking easily integrated into source code management workflow
- easy forking and re-merging so that independent development efforts can be co-ordinated with minimal overhead
- highlighted source code right in your browser
- graphical overview of development activity
- stay up to date without subscribing to yet another mailing list
There are many other ways to host open source projects, and GitHub won't be right in every situation. But for small, highly-focused projects, GitHub is well worth checking out.